Saturday, July 30, 2011

Most cherished moment in life are free!



From the time I was little my older sister and I constantly would rearrange our bedroom.  Although I love to rearrange rooms and redecorate still as an adult...I still HATE cleaning.  If I could I would hire a maid.  Oddly enough the scent of Clorox Clean Up in a house makes me smile.  Nothing like the smell of a disinfected, clean house. But as life would have it...it's not a reality. As an adult I have learned that just about anything you do can be fun when you have the right attitude.  Yesterday my goal of the day was so sort, organize, and yes rearrange my bedroom.  Now I have been told more than once by my sweet husband not to move heavy furniture.  To this day I am still to stubborn to listen.  I told Bryleigh that her chore of the day was to help me clean my room.  At first I think that she was in shock.  How many moms out there have ever told their kid that they have to their their parents' bedroom...lol ;-)  Bryleigh had a look of shock on her face.  After all, I knew I needed some help to move the furniture.  Her attitude at first was less then desirable.  I told Bryleigh that anything can be fun with the right attitude.  Started by moving some stuff in the hall so that I could begin to work.  The fun started when I tried to move Tyler's dresser.  It was HEAVY and I soon realized that I would have to take out some drawers.  As I did I discovered that his "junk" drawers were over flowing.  Not that I was trying to snoop, but I had to tidy things up a bit because there was no way to cram it all back in.  There was just no room.  Bryleigh's eyes lite up with excitement with all the "treasures" he was hiding in there.  We went through old pictures.  She laughed at some of the pictures of Tyler.  She said that he looked angry in his football picture.  I told her that he was just trying to look tough.  I showed her a picture of Tyler and I when were we dating.  She said, "Hmmm, Mom, I don't think I am ready for this."  Yes...I totally embarrass her with gushy love talk and love every second of watching her squirm.  The more we worked the more fun we had.  We laughed and joked.  I teased her.  Bryliegh called me a dork (I have to say I love earning that title).  We danced and made up silly songs.  And yes we even made up silly songs for Grace.  Cleaning a room has never been so much fun in my house.  I loved just being silly with Bryleigh and Grace.  It's one of the best parts of being a mom.  I am not a person known for being silly, or funny.  In fact there are very few people in my life that bring out that side of me.  Once it does come out...I know I am surrounded with the people that I love the most.  After hours...yes I meant to say hours of cleaning, organizing, and rearranging I knew that I was far to exhausted to make dinner.  So I did what any good mom would do...go visit dad at work.  We hit up a Red Box for some movies and went to Pizza Hut to see Tyler for some dinner.  Pizza, & wings to be exact. While waiting for our food I talked to Bryleigh.  I told her that cleaning my room with her was so much fun.  Bryleigh said, "Mom, can every time we clean be that much fun?"  I told her that anything can be fun with the right attitude.  I couldn't help but ask her why when I help her clean her room why is it so difficult.  Bryleigh's response was, "Mom, it's because you make me throw away stuff."

The moral of this all is that as silly as it sounds I had a blast cleaning with Bryleigh yesterday.  (Grace kept us entertained with all the cute/silly faces that she was making at us.)  But we had fun not because we went to amusement park, or because I bought her something.  We had fun just being silly by spending time together working.  This is a lesson that I wished I had learned (and sunk in) when I was young.  Most of all I am so very thankful for my family.  The most treasured moments in life don't come from a store.  The most treasured memories in life can most come in little everyday moments and I am thankful for each and every one.